31 July 2026

Green Leaves

Loose Leaves – Art Inspired

 

Grace Gillespie - Under the Blossom (Indigo)


This poem was in part inspired by a wonderful photograph which I saw posted on Bluesky, but also by the sparrows which live in a tall hedge running along the lane behind where we live in Tokyo – and which I’ve written about several times before here on Shinobazu Pond 俳句 (see, Leaf 8, Leaf 229, and Leaf 372). There’s something about hearing and seeing a flock of sparrows which always brightens my mood. It often reminds me of the happy and carefree feeling I felt when running around with my friends in the summer’s back in England when I was kid.

 

青葉光るぺちゃくちゃ話す雀かな

あおばひかる | ぺちゃくちゃはなす | すずめかな

Aoba hikaru | pechakucha hanasu | suzume kana

 

Shining green leaves | chattering talk | sparrows (!)

 

 

Sunshine and

green leaves –

in the sparrows’ song. 




This poem was originally written and posted on Bluesky.